COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT THE ABAYA
Did you know that the origin of abaya can be traced to a verse in the Qur’an that states, “O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters, and the believing women, to cover themselves with a loose garment. They will thus be recognized and no harm will come to them”.
Traditionally, Abayas were plain black styled to cover the entire body. However, in recent times abayas have become much more fashionable. Fashionistas have introduced different kinds of abayas, each of which can be worn in different elegant styles.
Anyway, this article will be centered on the misconceptions surrounding the wearing of Abaya, and we will try as much as possible to clarify them.
Some of which includes;
- Only Muslims wear Abayas: Non-Muslims can also wear Abaya, as abayas are not just comfortable but classy as well. It can be by anyone especially when you are wearing to avoid so much attention on you or cover your pregnancy bump.
2. Most people believe that you have to cover your hair with a head tie whenever an abaya is being worn. This is a wrong belief because abaya in itself is just a covering that represents modesty and cultural dressing for the Arabs. Also, there are some hooded abayas that are stylish and are light when placed on the head.
3. Abaya is a compulsory wear for the Muslims: Abayas are worn mainly to conceal a woman’s body, any other cloth can be worn so far it doesn’t define a woman’s body or curves. So yeah! It really depends on the clothing, Islam’s codes are there to help, not hinder, and it is not set in stone. It’s actually very important that we differentiate between what’s a must-do in Islam and what’s merely a tradition so we don’t follow blindly.
- Most people think it is compulsory to wear a garment underneath the Abaya, in fact, no matter where you are going, you can choose to wear anything you want underneath.
- People think Abaya are only worn when going to the mosque to pray, but they have no idea how most wardrobes are full of different kind of abayas and can be worn and sorted out depending on the events you want to wear them too. Thus, while casual abayas are for going to the market, semi-formals are for the mall and formals for weddings.
- Another misconception about wearing an abaya is that most people think they mostly are worn casually to save money, they have no idea that as abaya is being purchased, shoes and bags are also purchased to go with it.
- The misconception that wearing abaya makes it difficult to do anything, to burst your bubble, you can basically do anything wearing your abaya. You can even do sports like skating, jogging, walking, dancing, among others.
- Furthermore, the general belief that abayas are mostly worn by chubby people only, that’s not just discriminatory, it is insensitive, anyone can wear an abaya, irrespective of your stature, you have no idea the physical structure of a woman wearing an abaya.
- In addition, the misconception that wearing an abaya is a heavy clothing, these people have no idea the advantage abaya has over other clothing, as it keeps us warm during winter.
- Lastly, the misconception that abayas are shabbily made locally.
Well, I have good news for you all, abayas from Habeebat Online Store are imported from well crafted, signature designers from Dubai who take their time to provide lovely, beautiful, exquisite and well-embroidered abayas.
Therefore, hope we’ve been able to convince you all about these and other misconceptions about the abaya, as such, wearing an abaya doesn’t just make you beautiful, it also makes you look pleasant, classy and gorgeous.